Re: Guile in Emacs

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Guile in Emacs
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:06:12 +0200

<address@hidden> writes:

> David> Did you bother to read my posting to its end before replying to the
> David> first sentence?  I should think that I already addressed this.
>
> My apologies if I have misunderstood something; I did read all of the
> mail.
>
> You wrote in the second paragraph:
>
>> Otherwise, only programmers can be expected to be able to use it.  One
>> reason for that is that non-Emacs specific Lisp manuals will not focus
>> about how to get things done with Emacs.  Applying a manual utterly
>> without editing focus to editing tasks is quite a large intellectual
>> feat.
>
> I would imagine that the system came with several manuals, a generic
> one for common lisp (for instance the hyperspec) and a more emacs
> specific one for the editing libraries (such as the buffer related
> functions).
>
> Why would it make a big difference whether (say) `loop' and
> `current-buffer' appear in different manuals as long as both are
> available in the system and there are some appropriate top-level
> index/search/contents/reading-guide support for the user?

Because the language specific manual would have no constructs and no
examples using any editor-specific data structures or any
editor-specific tasks.

But that's actually more or less a paraphrase of the "Otherwise, [...]"
paragraph above again.  I don't see anything in your reply that would
address that.

--
David Kastrup