Re: VC and bzr.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC and bzr.
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 21:34:05 -0400

>>> and if that doesn't reduce the required time to something
>>> reasonable, the Bazaar people have the means for fixing the
>>> problem.
>> I don't know what that means or if it's true.
> The problem now is that bzr must operate on a remote filesystem and a
> commit may require quite a bit of file I/O.
> Once you have a friendly buddy on the other end, there is no reason for
> a commit to a remote branch taking much more time than a local one,
> being the setup of the ssh session the most expensive addition.

Actually, that's not true.
For a "lightweight remote checkout", the commit (even over a smart
server) would be more difficult to make efficient than locally because
the commit requires a potentially large transfer of data because you
need to compare the new files (on one host) to the old files (on the
other host).
For other situations, the commit is really a commit+push, and the push
is equivalent to a "pull", just done the other way around.  And if
you've followed Bzr development, you'll know that Bzr is not that great
at doing pulls efficiently and it's unlikely to improve soon.

        Stefan