Re: Desktop bubble notifications [Was: Re: Add function to make frame to

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: Desktop bubble notifications [Was: Re: Add function to make frame topmost?]
Date: Mon, 03 May 2010 03:29:59 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:

What more could be done that way than would be possible if
growlnotify.exe had a /wait switch?

Remembering that I'm not familiar with growl-for-windows, but in the api docs it looks like there's the possibility to just register callbacks directly (surely handier?), set custom attributes, and get fine-grained errors back.

I did say "especially on fd.o": libnotify has a lot of stuff not exposed through its notify-send, like multiple actions ( "Chat|Ignore"), possibility for association with specific applications widgets and systray icons, and support for updating the message of the notification*. (growl-for-windows doesn't currently do several of those in the first place as far as I can see (could well be wrong)).

[debian package python-notify has a bunch of examples in /usr/share/doc/python-notify/examples ]

import pynotify
import time

n = pynotify.Notification("Uh oh","...")
for i in range(10,0,-1):
    n.update("Uh oh", "%s..." % i)
n.update("Oh No!", "<b>BANG</b>")