Re: Bash scripts in black and white

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Bash scripts in black and white
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 10:15:51 +0200

Date: Fri, 14 May 2010 23:23:40 +0200
From: Angelo Graziosi<address@hidden>
Cc: Emacs<address@hidden>

PS. Sometime one gets the idea that Emacs's developers do not test
deeply (for example, with at least a clean bootstrap) their changes...
This would explain why the bugs tracker is at #6193 :-)

Sorry for this... but I could not resist... :-)

It is only my opinion and, perhaps, it comes out fro the idea of Programming one has in mind.

I won't recommend drawing any conclusions from just the number of the
last filed bug.  Especially since the Emacs bug database is shared
with other projects (e.g., Coreutils).  As another data point, the GNU
Make's bug number approaches 30,000...

More to the point: Emacs maintainers do test as deeply as practically
possible for each one of them.  A bootstrap is a lengthy procedure for
someone who has maybe an hour a day to work on Emacs.  We are grateful
to all those who do have resources to bootstrap and test on other
systems, and report results here.

Often the bugs come from lack of bootstrap, and bootstrap (+PDF manual, +tar.xz of the binary distribution) takes about 25 minutes on Cygwin, which is only an emulator...

In any case, thanks for the work of developers.

Ciao,
Angelo.