Re: Bash scripts in black and white

From: Angelo Graziosi
Subject: Re: Bash scripts in black and white
Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 11:20:39 +0200

Il 15/05/2010 11.12, Juanma Barranquero ha scritto:
On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:15, Angelo Graziosi<address@hidden>  wrote:

Often the bugs come from lack of bootstrap, and bootstrap (+PDF manual,
+tar.xz of the binary distribution) takes about 25 minutes on Cygwin, which
is only an emulator...

Bootstrap failures are few and far between, so half an hour* to test
every change is a waste of resources**. In any case,  bootstrap
failures are usually detected and fixed in a few hours.

I did not refer to bootstrap failure! and not to bootstrap at every changes. At least once per week or when there are many many changes: catching a bug soon is better than after some time :-)

*: Not everyone has powerful, up-to-date computers.

My PC was born on September 2007! with the same XP!

**: I *do* bootstrap almost daily; but I don't think it should be
forced on everyone. If we wanted such an always-buildable,
always-runable repository, we would be better served by a continuous
integration setup. I don't think we want, though.

See above.

Ciao,
Angelo.