Re: Emacs 23, so slow to refresh on Windows

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs 23, so slow to refresh on Windows
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 09:25:28 +0200

On Tue, May 18, 2010 at 01:52,  <address@hidden> wrote:

> No, I've done more testing and so far I haven't noticed any slowdown with
> normal files (ie. files without long lines).
> So, I think we can assume the performance issue is specific to files with
> long lines.

Assuming you use continuation lines, and not truncation, does the
speed improve setting `cache-long-line-scans' to t? (Note that the
variable is automatically buffer-local, so be sure to set it in the
appropriate buffer, or use setq-default.)

> With the 6x13 font, it doesn't make a difference (6x13 being a bitmap
> font, I suppose it's always rendered using the gdi backend).

Yes, I think so. You can see the backend used for a font by moving the
cursor over a character in that font and doing "C-u C-x =". The font
information will start with gdi: or uniscribe:

> And I'm probably not the only
> one who has to deal with computer generated files (dumps, logs, export
> files, ...) containing very long lines.

No, that is indeed very common.

    Juanma