Re: delete-file to trash

From: Adrian Robert
Subject: Re: delete-file to trash
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 22:37:09 +0300

On May 22, 2010, at 4:03 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> (And if you want to try out what this hypothetical Gnome VCS situation
>> might be like, you can use a Mac running Time Machine.
>
> I have no intention to use such a proprietary software, and encourage
> other people to stay away from it as well, especially as a form of
> archival since that traps you into this proprietary platform.

I apologize, I should have thought before tossing this comment off.  I did not
mean to advocate use of Mac OS in general, just point out that it could be a
testbed for evaluating a feature that was being implemented or considered for
implementation on a free platform.  Or not even using it, but just reading what
others say about it positive or negative.

Regarding trapping, Time Machine uses standard unix hard links, and the default
FS format for Mac OS is HFS+, the specs for which are published here
(http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/technotes/tn/tn1150.html); a GNU/linux
driver has been developed.

-Adrian