Re: How do I use tags to go to begv_byte instead of BEGV_BYTE?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: How do I use tags to go to begv_byte instead of BEGV_BYTE?
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 13:31:40 -0400

> However it is a quite surprising organizing of case fold search
> handling. It looks like it does not care about major mode or buffer
> file extension, both of them which could be used to make a better
> guess for case fold search.

Yes, it's not perfect.  To a large extent it is explained by the fact
that it's been that way for ages and back then Emacs did not try to be
nearly as clever.
Nowadays, I think etags.el would deserve to be improved so as to taken
the major mode into account, and also so as to give precedence to
case-exact matches, and also to automatically try the second-choice if
the first makes you jump to where you started.

IOW patches welcome,

        Stefan