Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping
Date: Mon, 24 May 2010 21:58:08 +0200

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Chong Yidong <address@hidden> wrote:
> Leo <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Using fringes or margins (now that I have tried it and I can imagine how
>> Lennart implement his mode) are all workarounds and they are not much
>> different than opening up a frame with the desired width but then it is
>> a waste of screen estate and it has impact on productivity.
>
> Implementing a wrap margin creates exactly the same waste of screen
> estate.  Functionally, the two are equivalent.

I think there are some small functional differences:

- Using my implementation (i.e. setting margins) puts the fringes next
to the text. I think that is more useful but maybe someone else does
not.
- Just wrapping would leave the fringes further away.
- Also if a wrap margin was implemented that would have to be changed
dynamically according to window width. (Natural, of course.)

However it would be useful to be able to turn of fringes per buffer or window.

Leo, to make it easier for myself to stand the fringes I have
implemented something I call better-fringes-mode ( ;-) ). Did you try
that?