Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping

From: Uday S Reddy
Subject: Re: visual-line-mode and line wrapping
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 09:36:23 +0100

On 5/24/2010 6:34 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:
In the discussion of the trashbin feature, visual-line-mode came up.
It seems many of us would like it to be able to wrap lines at
a position other than the window edge.

I still haven't heard any good argument for it, as compared to using
wide fringes, wide margins, or by splitting windows.

Hi Stefan, My use for it would be that, occasionally, I want to enlarge the
Emacs window for some purpose or the other.  (For instance, to see more of
email summary lines.  Or, even the mode line.  Do you use which-func-mode?)

When you do that, it would be nice if the wrapped lines don't become
ridiculously wide at the same time.

It seems just natural. Just like we have a `fill-column' for filled text, we
have a `wrap-column' for wrapped text.

My two cents.

Cheers,
Uday