Re: separate name uniquification from `generate-new-buffer-name'

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: separate name uniquification from `generate-new-buffer-name'
Date: Tue, 25 May 2010 15:30:03 -0400

> Something I would like to see is separation of <N>-suffix name
> uniquifying from `generate-new-buffer-name'.  The latter could just
> use the more general unique-naming function (unless C optimization is
> important in that particular case).

Mostly agreed.  As you noticed, uniquify uses advices and that should be
fixed.  A good way to fix it is to come up with a good
name-buffer-function variable that holds a function that's run whenever
a buffer name is chosen or modified.  This variable's default would be
a function that implements the usual <N> stuff and it could be replaced
by uniquify to do something more clever.

        Stefan