Re: CEDET sync

From: Lluís
Subject: Re: CEDET sync
Date: Fri, 04 Jun 2010 21:53:14 +0200

>>> Could you take a look at this report about a symbol that Semantic can't
>>> handle?  I just applied your semantic-lex-spp-table-write-slot-value
>>> change that saves a nil instead of erroring on invalid values.
>> BTW Eric, but it seems that Emacs's CEDET code and your own aren't being
>> sync'ed at all, is that right?  If so, we really need to get this syncing
>> going ASAP, otherwise it will be hellish to maintain.

> If someone who knows some about dvcs systems I can use on Source Forge
> that would aid in such a sync system would like to help me set things
> up, that would be a huge boon for me!

Problem is, I didn't see a clear and hassle-free path to do cross-project
merging in the long term (I didn't ask the GNUS people about their strategy).

Right now I don't have much time to start playing with different VCS and
cross-merging strategies (I'm only proficient with subversion), but if any of
you come up with something that that would work with minimal user intervention
I'd be glad to start a new CEDET branch in such a scenario.

The first step I could do is renaming files, which is the major showstopper
right now. Then the real cross-merging could start, which I don't know if I
would have time to do.

As I understood it, the most viable cross-merging strategy would be:

   emacs           cedet
   |- trunk        |- trunk
   \- <branchN>    \- branch-emacs-<branchN>

Valid merging flows:

  cedet::*                    <-> cedet::*
  emacs::*                    <-> emacs::*
  emacs::trunk/lisp/cedet     <-  cedet::emacs-trunk
  emacs::<branchN>/lisp/cedet <-  cedet::emacs-<branchN>

My concern with such a scheme is how (*) to transplant changes from cedet into
an emacs subdirectory, such that all cedet commit logs and dates are maintained.

(*) which VCS can be used and which restrictions might this impose on the
    development workflow