Re: support for git commit --amend/--signoff

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: support for git commit --amend/--signoff
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 01:44:26 +0200

() Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
() Fri, 11 Jun 2010 16:16:18 -0400

   Juri Linkov <address@hidden> writes:

   > This will provide interchangeability: the user will be able to copy
   > arguments from the *VC-log* buffer to the external command line and
   > back to the *VC-log* buffer to construct the necessary command line.

   That's very ugly from the UI point of view, it's not better than doing
   the same thing from the command line directly.

I disagree on the aesthetics.  Straightforward editable text is what
Emacs is good for.  Such an interface invites user-defined UI.  For
example, keyboard macros are compatible with it, as are dedicated
commands (what you seem to be pushing), as are advised functions, etc.
It is also extensible in the other direction (for people who have
extended, or ~/bin-wrapped programs).

Perlis sez: It is better to have 100 functions operate on one data
structure than 10 functions on 10 data structures.

thi