Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: arrow keys vs. C-f/b/n/p
Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2010 13:28:25 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 15:46:18 -0700
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> And if we go with a preconceived idea that C-f should change directions
> depending on the text surrounding the cursor (R2L vs L2R), then we are also
> likely to go wrong.

C-f does not change directions.  It always goes forward in the buffer.
The effect on the cursor position on the screen and direction of its
change is another matter.

> BTW, what do we do when point is at a boundary (R2L/L2R or L2R/R2L)?  Which
> way
> is forward?

Same as always: towards the next buffer position.

> I imagine that these questions are not new for R2L folks. Hasn't some sort of
> standard behavior been worked out for buffers/documents that combine R2L and
> L2R
> text? If so, how does that conventional behavior fit with Emacs?

What's currently implemented in Emacs is what this "prior art" does
and expects.

> Will `forward-char' be DWIMed to fit R2L

It shouldn't.  forward-char should always go to the next character in
buffer's logical order.  If we don't do that, most Emacs features will
stop working.

> Eventually someone who knows better will chime in and set things
> straight. ;-)

I hope I did.