Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2010 05:10:27 +0200

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 5:05 AM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
>> Cc: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>, address@hidden, address@hidden,
>> address@hidden
>> Date: Wed, 16 Jun 2010 20:54:52 -0400
>>
>> Indeed what he suggests is probably impossible.  But the end result he's
>> after is definitely possible: move the window-start as little as possible
>> (tho still, line by line) to keep point displayed.
>
> xdisp.c already tries to do that, we just need to find out why it
> fails in this particular case.

After trying to restore the clip_changed value when save-restriction,
widen etc unnecessarily changed I suddenly wonder why they changed it.
Is not this something that only redisplay should handle? redisplay_can
easily save the clipping when it sets clip_changed to 0 and compare
with that when it enters redisplay_window and set clip_changed to 1 if
the saved clipping does not match.

Does that sound reasonable? (I do not know if I am missing something.)