Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:20:16 +0200

On Sat, Jun 19, 2010 at 4:10 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:
>> From: Lennart Borgman <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 15:36:16 +0200
>> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden

>> > wrap-to-fill-column-mode is complicated.  If you still see the problem
>> > with the current trunk, please show a recipe that does not use
>> > wrap-to-fill-column-mode, but instead sets the fill prefix and/or
>> > whatever else is needed to reproduce this problem in "emacs -Q".
>>
>> I told that recipe when I mentioned wrap-to-fill-column-mode.
>
> No, you told just part of it:

> Can you please make this more explicit?  Please show what I need to
> type in Emacs to accomplish what you say here.
>
>> Unfortunately I can not test now for these reasons:
>
> If you tell me how to define the fill prefix, I can test myself.

Just take the string that is the indentation of the current line and
put it as text property 'wrap-prefix. I have put that string in
ind-str-fill and do just this:

                (put-text-property beg-pos end-pos 'wrap-prefix ind-str-fill)

>> I found it a bit disturbing if you just implemented another way. I
>> can't say if it is right or wrong until I have seen your patch but
>> from our discussion it looks to me like you at least before
>> misunderstood the problem.
>
> What I implemented came out of the sub-thread of this thread where I
> explained to Stefan why I think it sometimes recenters, and Stefan
> agreed that fixing that is a good idea.  See
>
>    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-06/msg00766.html
>    http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2010-06/msg00773.html
>
> for details.  In a nutshell, the problem I fixed was that Emacs didn't
> look for point far enough beyond the end of the window.

OK, I seem to have misunderstood. It looks like that is for another
part of the problem.