Menu entry for describe-package?

From: Jan Moringen
Subject: Menu entry for describe-package?
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 01:22:36 +0200

Hi,

I think it's great to have package.el in Emacs. I suggest adding a
"Describe Package" menu item in the "Help > Describe" menu, in analogy
to the other `describe-*' functions. The attached patch adds the menu
entry.

Looking at the neighboring entries, it seems like the function should be
bound to C-h p. However, this binding is already in use (by
`finder-by-keyword').

More generally, does anyone else find it potentially confusing (at least
for new users) to have the following menu entries?

Options > Manage Emacs Packages -> `package-list-packages'

Help > Find Emacs Packages      -> `finder-by-keyword'
Help > External Packages        -> `menu-bar-help-extra-packages'

I think, the main source of potential confusion is the inconsistent use
of the term "package". Maybe the meaning of "package" in the "Help" menu
could also be conveyed by something more vague like "Find Emacs-related
software"?

Kind regards,
Jan