Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption

From: David De La Harpe Golden
Subject: Re: The unwarranted scrolling assumption
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:06:26 +0100

On 21/06/10 03:59, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 22:40:44 +0100
From: David De La Harpe Golden<address@hidden>
CC: address@hidden

window.c: Still recentering sometimes.

Does the problem go away if you disable font-lock-mode?

I could not reproduce today without font-lock-mode on two complete scrollthroughs (one with redisplay-dont-pause and one without).

font-lock-mode on:

redisplay-dont-pause nil (that's nil):

I counted about 114 visible recenters on one complete scrollthrough (N.B. definitely recenters i.e. cursor restarting from the middle, not just update lags),

redisplay-dont-pause t (that's t):

No visible recenters on one complete scrollthough.

I guess you've fixed _something_, just not the issue Lennart is talking
about: HELLO is definitely recentering less often than it was (making
the window narrower so that lines wrap makes it happen more repeatably).

Again, does it happen if you disable font-lock-mode and
bidi-display-reordering?

Yes (font-lock-mode doesn't appear to do anything visible at a glance on HELLO, but I turned it off anyway).

redisplay-dont-pause nil (that's nil):

Only visibly once in 20 whole buffer scrollthroughs (HELLO being a lot shorter than window.c...), though with at least one of those update lags every time.

redisplay-dont-pause t (that's t):

11 times in 20 whole buffer scrollthroughs.

Note there were still some wrapped lines during that test, which I have some difficulty eliminating with emacs -Q at present with typical
window sizes owing to #6471.