Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals

From: Yair F
Subject: Re: Composing Hebrew diacriticals
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 2010 21:57:06 +0300

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 11:07 AM, Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> wrote:
> In article <address@hidden>, Yair F <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Sorry for the late response.
>> Apparently the Culmus fonts are type1:
>> /usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1/DavidCLM-Medium.pfa: PostScript Type 1 font
>> text (DavidCLM-Medium 0.101)
>
> How did you install that font?  I donwloaded
> culmus-0.104.tar.gz from this page:

This is from culmus package on ubuntu (and debian as well as most
distributions as well). I would assume most Hebrew speakers on X based
paltform will have these two packages installed. Most Hebrew based
remixes package it.

>   http://sourceforge.net/projects/culmus/files/culmus/0.104/
> and extracted DavidCLM-Medium.ttf from that tarball, and put
> it under ~/.fonts.
>
> Please try that (and uninstall the above type1 font), and
> check if Emacs can use TrueType version of that font
> correctly.
I Tried with Keter-YG which is IMO the best Hebrew font, and Indeed
the rendring looks OK with my sample (See attached). This font comes
from culmus-ancient. The "problem" with that fornt that it is indeed
have an ancient look.

>> But MS fonts are ttf, and they doesn't compose either.
>> /usr/share/fonts/truetype/msttcorefonts/Arial.ttf: TrueType font data
>
> I tried that font too.  That font doesn't have OpenType
> tables for hebrew script.
>
> % fc-list arial family capability
> Arial
> Arial:capability=otlayout\:arab
>
> But, the function hebrew-shape-gstring has workaround code
> for such fonts, and in my environment, hebrew diacriticals
> are surely composed (although the positioning is not
> optimal).

I would say that the positioning is not sufficient See attached of same file.