Re: Embedding Emacs in other apps

From: Chad Brown
Subject: Re: Embedding Emacs in other apps
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 15:59:27 -0700

On Jul 2, 2010, at 3:16 PM, Chong Yidong wrote:
The "it" under discussion is a Firefox extension to replace text boxes
with embedded Emacs frames.  Since Firefox has only been around since
2003, I strongly suspect that XEmacs has not had "it" since "1998 at the
latest".

If you consider Firefox to be a continuation of Mozilla, Mosaic, and Netscape,
then your suspicion wouldn't be entirely correct.

That bit of ``but I was there!'' history-snark aside (and with my apologies; some
habits die hard), it is very helpful to have a concrete goal given.  I can easily
imagine situations where emacs-inside-Firefox and webkit-inside-emacs (ezbl
style) lead to divergent solutions.  From what I can see of the xembed branch,
it's closer to the latter than the former.

*Chad