RE: Emacs learning curve

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs learning curve
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:59:56 -0700

[interesting stuff snipped]

> he may end thinking that the Emacs project
> lacks the resources for staying with the times

In fact Emacs might well have insufficient (human) resources for staying with
the times.  But thanks to participation by people like you it does have some
such resources.

We've seen no real demonstration in this thread that there is a dwindling
interest in Emacs by users (which was the claim that started the thread), but I
would be willing to guess that there is insufficient new blood in the Emacs
development community.

I have nothing to back up that guess, but that's my guess.  I am not worried
about the future of Emacs (as I said, it will be here long after we are gone),
and I am especially not worried (at all) about insufficient numbers of new
users.  But I do think the circle of developers/contributors remains smaller
than it could be.