Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 17:02:28 +0900

Tom writes:

 > Ease of entry should be the main target, because more users means more
 > hackers too

You're ignoring the fact that some kinds of new users are far more
likely to convert to Emacs hackers.  Specifically, the kind of people
who don't pay too much attention to "ease of use" anyway, but rather
head straight for the workbench and grab a power grinder to smooth out
the nicks and burrs in their own user experience.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't target ease of use or conformance to
convention (more than we currently do).  Just that I don't think "more
users -> more hackers" is a good reason for it.