Re: Current CEDET version in the trunk

From: Christoph
Subject: Re: Current CEDET version in the trunk
Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 21:16:11 -0600

Hi Eric,

On 7/13/2010 8:45 PM, Eric M. Ludlam wrote:

The keymaps used for completion are done via pre-command-hook which
obscures them from C-h k. I just tried it out and M-n and p work for me
with CEDET/CVS in Emacs Lisp mode using the idle completion feature.

I just ran M-x semantic-mode after starting Emacs. Nothing else. Do I need to configure more than this?

Maybe we should better integrate and polish certain features one at a
time. Semantic seems like a great first choice to me. Semantic-based
completion and code browsing out of the box. I still have not been able

I tend to agree. While CEDET/Semantic has some completion UI tools,
there are others completion UIs that just use the the smart completion
back-end to calculate values. (ie - company mode, predictive, hippie
expand) The Emacs community here has a wide range of choice for
selecting the 'official' way of doing smart completion inline. Do not
assume that the completion engine I wrote is particularly special just
because it is in the semantic package. That said, it does have some cool
features. ;)

OK, but it worked. I have messed around alot with ctags, exuberant ctags (why is there even a difference?), etags (why etags??) and none of them seemed to work right always or it was extremely complicated to set up and maintain. With Semantic it seemed to work great, right away. It even jumped to the definition of a local variable, no problem. Yes, maybe I am missing something with the above mentioned tools, but point is, it shouldn't be so difficult.

Now, going through the manual and playing with it I found quite a few
inconsistencies/bugs. Where is the right place to report those? The GNU
bug tracker or the Sourceforge tracker?

I use the cedet-devel mailing lists on the CEDET sourceforge site, and
usually just fix things as they arrive. If changes go into Emacs, I'll
eventually get them so that is fine with me also.

Whatever you prefer. I can send bug reports to the CEDET mailing list. I can also provide patches, but I'd prefer fixing stuff in Emacs then, since I already have that source from the Emacs trunk and don't need to mess with CVS.

I'll get on the CEDET list and provide an overview of what I have found.

Christoph