Re: Wrong commit message. What to do now?

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: Wrong commit message. What to do now?
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 11:29:15 -0400

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>> Also, I had forgotten: are we not supposed to be committing to trunk
>> right now?
>
>Why not?  There's no branch or feature freeze anywhere in sight.

That's what I don't know how to tell -- where do I look to see what's
"in sight"?

In my previous mail, I listed the places I looked.  But in the past,
when there *has* been a feature freeze, I'm pretty sure those places
also did not say anything special.

>If you commit a safe bugfix for a problem that exists in Emacs 23.2,
>consider committing to the emacs-23 branch, not to the trunk; it will
>get merged with the trunk later.  And there's a request from Stefan
>and Yidong to commit either to the trunk or to emacs-23, but not to
>both.  This is to make the merges from emacs-23 to the trunk a bit
>less painful.  That's all, there are no other rules.  How's that too
>complicated, I don't see.

Oh, I wasn't saying that's too complicated.  What I was saying is that I
didn't know how to *find* those rules (and therefore, before this
moment, didn't know them).

Now that you've stated them explicitly, I can refer to your mail.  I'd
been looking for them in places more permanent than the mail archive and
not finding them, that's all.

And for those of us who have only a little room left in our heads, we
can just remember "push only to trunk, always" if nothing else :-).

Thanks for laying it out clearly.

-Karl