Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 20:06:51 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 18:27:49 +0200
>
> I know from the start that the stuff I'll use *if* the plan goes
> ahead is not acceptable for key Emacs developers

Why the defeatism?  Yidong expressed an understandable skepticism, but
if you present a persuasive case for the Canvas, I don't think it will
be rejected without consideration.

> Anyways, I'm not interested on learning about the current display
> engine.

How you will be able to implement a new display engine without at
least some familiarity with what the current one does?

> I'm more interested on a simpler approach: here is the data, display
> it.

This isn't Emacs.  You are describing Gnuplot.  The most important
problem a display engine needs to solve is: here's the new data and
the old display, now update the display.  And the data is not all
given in one place.

> The only thing I really fear is finding that other parts of Emacs
> (high-level event handling or content change management, for
> instance) are tightly coupled with the current display engine.

What do you mean by ``tightly coupled''?  The current display stops if
input becomes available -- is that tight enough?

In general, if you make all kinds of assumptions that would break your
approach, I'd suggest to publish those assumptions -- that's the
fastest way to validating them, short of studying the code yourself.