Re: Emacs learning curve

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: Emacs learning curve
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2010 20:59:04 +0200

Tassilo Horn <address@hidden> writes:

> On Friday 16 July 2010 19:38:46 Óscar Fuentes wrote:
>
>> > This heavily depends on your keyboard layout.
>>
>> Yes, I'm using a very expensive keyboard just because it has a great
>> ergonomics for working with Emacs.
>
> The price and quality of the keyboard doesn't make a big difference
> compared to the choice of layout, e.g. QUERTY, Dvorak or Neo.

Of course, if you rearrange the keys on the keyboard any bindings can be
awkward. But if you see that that justifies leaving ergonomics aside and
hence focusing on what is left (mnemonics) IMHO you are wrong. The
keyboard I use has an English layout, although I have to write in
Spanish (which has accented chars, special characters, etc) If your
native keyboard layout hurts when used with Emacs, change the
keyboard. It is a health issue.

(What I appreciate most of my keyboard is that Ctrl and Alt can be
pressed with the thumbs)

>> Worrying about mnemonics for operations you do hundreds of times per
>> day is a waste.
>
> Not really, but bindings for frequently used commands should be short.
> And C-w, M-w, C-y, M-y are as short as the CUA bindings.  And because
> they have clear mnemonics, they should be easily perceptible by newbies,
> too, once they have learned the concepts behind killing and yanking.

Again, mnemonics is a petty issue. Muscle memory is the ruling factor.

[snip]