Re: Selection changes

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: Selection changes
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 12:30:14 +0900

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
> But I think select-active-regions needs further improvement.  Perhaps
> its default behavior should be as follows: for an active region created
> using shift-selection or mouse dragging, Emacs supplies the region text
> to primary.  When such a region is deactivated, Emacs disowns primary
> (as some other apps do, tho not Firefox).  For an active region created
> simply with C-SPC, no special x-selection handling should be performed.

I don't like things that make selections magic depending on how they
were selected; it just makes the interface more confusing and
discourages people from learning new commands.

A selection should be a selection, to the greatest extent possible
(there are some exceptions, like shift-selections auto-deselecting, but
that's much less confusing because it's an immediate and visually
obvious effect, and fits people's shift-select muscle-memory).

-miles

--
Politeness, n. The most acceptable hypocrisy.