Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs and Gnome Canvas
Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 12:10:27 +0300

> From: Andreas Schwab <address@hidden>
> Cc: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Sat, 17 Jul 2010 10:34:42 +0200
>
> The relocating allocator can of course only relocate objects it knows
> about, so I don't know what should be the issue with C++?  The objects
> allocated via new are just part of the normal malloc space that never
> gets touched by ralloc.

Can you really avoid having C++ objects that reference Emacs buffers
and strings?  Maybe you can, but not easily, I think, and not by
accident.

And on some platforms (although not on GNU/Linux, I think) malloc is
also replaced, so there's no "normal malloc space" per se.

In any case, I didn't pretend to have researched this issue and to
have firm conclusions.  I just said that it _should_be_ researched
thoroughly, before concluding that using C++, and in conjunction with
Qt on top of that, will not in itself get one in trouble that is
completely unrelated to experimenting with the display engine.