Re: Selection changes

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Selection changes
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 13:32:46 +0300

> From: Chong Yidong <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 18:05:43 -0400
> Cc: 'David De La Harpe Golden' <address@hidden>, address@hidden,
>       'Miles Bader' <address@hidden>
>
> > The latest build I have of Emacs is completely broken wrt yanking with
> > mouse-2 - see bugs 6689, 6694, 6701,....  I have not paid attention to
> > this thread, but I cannot ignore a blown-away mouse.
>
> The specific problem you encountered apparently comes from the way the
> Windows port emulates a primary selection.  This will need some updating
> for the current changes.

Could you please describe the changes that were made in this respect?

The NEWS entry says:

    ** Selection changes.

    The way Emacs interacts with the clipboard and primary selection, by
    default, is now similar to other X applications.  In particular, kill
    and yank use the clipboard, in addition to the primary selection.

    *** `select-active-regions' now defaults to t.

    *** `x-select-enable-clipboard' now defaults to t.

    *** `x-select-enable-primary' now defaults to nil.

    *** `mouse-drag-copy-region' now defaults to nil.

    *** `mouse-2' is now bound to `mouse-yank-primary'.

Is the list of default values in this entry all that was modified?
That is, if the user reverts all of these values to their previous
defaults, would she have the previous behavior?  Or were other changes
made as well?  If the latter, could someone please tell where these
changes were made, and in what revno's?

In general, the behavior on MS-Windows does not need to change,
because there's no primary selection on Windows.  Emacs on Windows
emulates the primary selection, but that emulation was never meant to
be a replacement for the "real thing", it was just there to minimize
OS-dependent conditions elsewhere in Emacs sources.