RE: Emacs learning curve

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Emacs learning curve
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 11:19:26 -0700

> I've watched at least one CUA-accustomed complete Emacs noob learn
> Emacs, and who didn't seemed bothered at all by the lack of C-x/etc
> (they just used the menus for those things until they had become
> accustomed to Emacs keys).

Don't forget that you are talking to an Emacs non-noob who uses CUA-mode (IIUC)
and Viper.  IOW, your newbie who learned Emacs is not someone Lennart is likely
to identify with (or vice versa).

Old-timers who never tried, or never learned to use, or never accepted Emacs key
bindings, and who repeatedly push here for Emacs to lose its default bindings in
favor of the emulation modes _they_ happen to be in the habit of using are _not_
typical of either Emacs users in general or Emacs newbies.

They are as dyed-in-the-wool as us other Emacs hard-liners.  They are simply
dyed in an emulation wool.  They try to carry high and monopolize the "Newbie"
banner, but IMO they do not speak for Emacs newbies.

"Newbie uber alles."  But which newbie?

(And yes, I do consider both CUA mode and Viper to be legitimate, first-class
citizens in the Emacs world.  One is not non-Emacs or anti-Emacs if one uses an
emulation mode.  Emacs is bigger than either of them or any other emulation
mode, however.)