Re: CMake build anyone?

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: CMake build anyone?
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 2010 23:34:07 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> One caveat: knowing nothing about the emacs MSDOS build, I don't know
>> how well CMake works for it. Maybe we can use cmake's cross-compiling
>> feature for driving the MSDOS compiler (DJGPP?)
>
> As long as you are not asking the end users to have CMake installed
> (and I hope you don't), the DOS build will be okay.

A CMake install is required. Maybe that is an issue for MSDOS users,
because there is no cmake port for MSDOS AFAIK. Hence the only option
for MSDOS users would be cross-compile, but that's not an option because
you mentioned that bootstrapping Emacs is required on a DJGPP
development environment.

If you imply that requiring cmake for Windows people is too a serious
inconvenience, it should be noted that cmake makes gnuwin32/msys
unnecessary, so you exchange one requirement for another. As an user, I
prefer to depend on cmake, because it is more compact and less intrusive
(it doesn't introduce lots of executables and you don't need it on the
PATH, for instance.)

For the time being, we can put MSDOS aside and go ahead if cmake is seen
as convenient enough by the Windows maintainers.

[snip]