Re: Please restore `make-obsolete''s functionality.

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Please restore `make-obsolete''s functionality.
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 17:29:59 +0000

Hi, Stefan,

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 11:38:09PM +0200, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Stefan, the following is a lie - a barefaced lie:
> >     "cc-cmds.el:326:2:Warning: make-obsolete called with 2 arguments, but
> >     requires 3".

> The &optional is obsolete.  So whether it's a lie or not, I'll let you
> decide, but the intention is to let people know that their code needs
> to be updated.

Just to be clear here, I'm thoroughly in favour of the WHEN parameter
being supplied to make-obsolete.  Just that I feel messed around with,
due to the wording of the message.

How about instead being honest with our hackers, and giving a message
something like:

"cc-cmds.el:326:2:Warning: Please consider supplying a third parameter
\"when\" in invocations of make-obsolete".  Is the byte-compiler
flexible enough to support the output of such messages?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).