Re: vc-mode-line

From: Andy Moreton
Subject: Re: vc-mode-line
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 13:34:45 +0100

On Fri 30 Jul 2010, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> This function's doc string (and the corresponding portion of the Emacs
> manual) does not document all the possible characters that can appear
> between the name of the back-end and the revision number.

Fixing the docs would be useful.

> I will take care of fixing that, but while at that, I'm surprised that
> the characters selected to express the various statuses have such a
> small mnemonic value.  `-' would be much more appropriate for removed
> files, and locally added files should use `+' rather than `@'.  How
> entrenched are the current indicators? is it possible to change them,
> or will that cause massive breakage elsewhere and/or user outcry?

Even more useful would be to replace this with something more like
mode-line-format that allows the user to extend the information
displayed.

For example, it would be useful to display the current branch when
working with files checked out from multiple repositories and branches.

    AndyM