Emacs TODO List: Have a command suggestion help system that recognizes

From: Thunk Out
Subject: Emacs TODO List: Have a command suggestion help system that recognizes patterns
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2010 17:34:47 -0500

Hi there,

I'm working on a command suggestion minor mode. I just realized that this is also an item on the Emacs TODO list (C-h C-t), and that I should contact you about it on off chance that you want it, or have some suggestions about its implementation. The code is located at http://github.com/tlh/re-suggest.el

From the comments:

;; re-suggest.el is a simple command suggestion minor-mode. It works
;; by mapping commands to characters, creating a string out of the
;; character mappings of recent commands, matching the resulting
;; string against a list of user-defined regexps that correspond to
;; command sequences, and finally suggesting a better way to do things
;; when a match is found. re-suggest looks strictly at sequences of
;; commands, not sequences of keystrokes, avoiding complications
;; resulting from different keybindings in different modes.

So re-suggest actually uses the built-in regexp engine to do its command pattern matching.

I'm more than willing to sign the papers if you actually want it. I'd love to hear from you.

--tlh