Re: The copyright issue

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: The copyright issue
Date: Mon, 09 Aug 2010 15:06:42 +0200

Andreas Röhler <address@hidden> writes:

> Am 09.08.2010 12:01, schrieb Richard Stallman:
>> The main reason our lawyer gave when advising us to ask for copyright
>> assignments is so that the copyright status of the program is simple.
>> He said that would help us in court if we need to sue someone for
>> violating the GPL.
>>
>> We can make an exception occasionally when it is very important
>> but we should not make many exceptions.
>
> The crux is: this policy puts the risk at the weakest shoulders, at
> the contributors.

No, it _takes_ the task of suing for compliance from the shoulders of
the contributors.

> Please consider: adversaires of free software will not ignore this,
> will not miss the point.

Adversaries of free software will notice when the legal position of the
FSF is weak.  I have no idea what "point" you are trying to make.

> BTW we have a prominent example in Germany already, how a career and
> social existence of an free softtware activist might be ruined.
>
> His name is Jörg Tauss. He was a member of the Parliament, the
> Bundestag.  Inside Germany as in Europe Jörg Tauss took action against
> software patents.

The accusation is acquisition and possession of child pornography.  If
you consider this in any way connected with copyright assignment
policies, you are just crazy.  It may be loosely connected with freedom
of information and privacy, but that's utterly, utterly unrelated to the
topic of discussion.  So please get a grip and use, if at all, examples
that have anything to do with the point you are trying to make.

--
David Kastrup