Re: select-active-regions, Emacs not X

From: Andreas Röhler
Subject: Re: select-active-regions, Emacs not X
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 12:13:38 +0200

Am 31.08.2010 10:08, schrieb Miles Bader:
Andreas Röhler<address@hidden>  writes:
IMHO pure cursor move should not send the region to clipboard per default.
OTOH that seems a useful feature for mouse-regions
If you don't have the tmm region activated, cursor movement shouldn't
affect the selection.  If you _do_ have the tmm region activated, on the
other hand, updating the region via cursor movement _should_ affect the
selection, because that's what the X selection is:  roughly speaking
it's the "latest highlighted thing".

There should be no difference between "tmm-keyboard-regions" and
"mouse-regions" -- they are both methods of selecting text, and both
look the same and behave very similarly in most other ways; to make
mouse regions "special" would simply confuse the user and disadvantage
keyboard users.

Note that other apps (e.g., I tested firefox and chromium) also work
this way: updating a region of selected text with the keyboard sets the
X selection.

-Miles

Hi,
delivered a bug report with the issue

bug#6941: 24.0.50; yank doesn't return latest kill

Don't see tmm  activated.

BTW all is fine after setting `select-active-regions' away from t.

So I'm afraid, it just does what it should, if `select-active-regions' is t.

Than question boils down not to set it `t' by default.

Thanks

Andreas