Re: Structural regular expressions

From: Lawrence Mitchell
Subject: Re: Structural regular expressions
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2010 16:52:43 +0100

Stefan Monnier wrote:
>> A halfway house, similar to that suggested by Drew, would be something
>> like http://www2.ph.ed.ac.uk/~s0198183/multi-region.el.  ISTR some
>> discussion when it was posted in g.e.sources, *grovels through mail*:
>> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.sources/1390

>> Maybe this is a useful feature to now think about incorporating

> Indeed, we could probably go a long way by simply

This must be a new and exciting definition of simply that I am
not previously aware of.  Else I'm being particularly dense.

> extending our notion of region so as to allow it to be
> non-contiguous.

Glancing through the source, this seems like it would be a pretty
major change.  I guess BEGV and ZV would have to be changed from
buffer positions to lists of buffer positions.  Then everything
that looked at them would be updated to respect this change.  And
so forth.  Or do I have the wrong end of the stick?

Lawrence
--
Lawrence Mitchell <address@hidden>