Re: Pushing the `gnus-range-*' functions down into the C layer

From: Andy Wingo
Subject: Re: Pushing the `gnus-range-*' functions down into the C layer
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2010 10:06:18 +0200

Hi,

On Thu 09 Sep 2010 17:16, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden> writes:

> Would anyone mind if I implemented the `gnus-range-*' functions in C for
> Emacs 24?

Speaking with my Guile maintainer hat on, more C is an evil. Guile was a
slow Scheme so lots of stuff got moved to C, but we still weren't quite
fast enough, and by the time we exhausted our possibilities for C
optimization, we were left with a brittle thing.

Instead the real fix was to improve the language implementation, so it
wasn't so slow. The same thing will be the real fix for Emacs. And now
that things are better in Guile, we are rolling back on the
"C-for-speed", because in many cases it's not faster.

I should say that sometimes C is a necessary evil; but it's an evil
nonetheless. If you can fix this particular case algorithmically, that
would be loads better.

Just my 2 eurocents,

Andy
--