Re: bzr - how to switch to Emacs 23 branch?

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: bzr - how to switch to Emacs 23 branch?
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:22:54 -0400

On Sep 11, 2010, at 9:37 PM, Óscar Fuentes wrote:

> bzr branch sftp://address@hidden/srv/bzr/emacs/emacs-23 emacs-23

Thanks, this worked.  I thought it had the reference for the branch locally.
It still took a few minutes to complete, though!

> Bad news: bzr is not git. You need to retrain your dVCS-fu to work with
> bzr. Practising some yoga will help too.

I agree.  The whole pull-does-not-merge, and merge-does-not-commit thing is of
course a bit confusing for a Gitster.  (These aren't bad features I think -
they are just different.)

After my change (done on the branch directly), I had to merge/commit from the
remote before I could push.  This created an extra merge commit, and I thought
that that wouldn't be clean.  So I "uncommitted" everything to the state before
my change, merged/committed, and then applied my change again.  Is this the
right way? is there an easier way?  Or do all these spurious merges not matter
in terms of public history?