Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Compiling Elisp to a native code with a GCC plugin
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:09:46 +0200

>  > Does everything have to be slow?  :-)
> Wrong polarity.  The question here is "does everything have to be
> fast?", and the answer is "no -- I mean, HELL NO!"
> Make your case that this function needs to be faster than a pure elisp
> implementation.

I think that's a rather ... stunning approach, but might explain many
things about XEmacs.

I've presented a use case, and I've demonstrated how all the alternative
implementations are 50-150% slower than my suggested new implementation,
and I've done the implementation, which turned out to be totally
trivial.  What more do you need?

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen