RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-d deleting region considered harmful
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 07:29:14 -0700

> However, the effect of "C-d" deleting the active region has been
> driving me nuts for quite a while.  I accidentally end up deleting
> something I didn't intend to about 10-15 times a day... usually I
> notice and am annoyed but can immediately hit undo, but occasionally I
> don't immediately notice, and end up being very very confused until I
> reconstruct what happened.
>
> I thought I might get used to it after a while, but so far, despite
> the frequency with which it happens, it's every bit as annoying as it
> was when it first started happening.
>
> Is there any particular _reason_ for C-d to have this effect?  C-d is
> not a binding used by other platforms, so it has no obvious utility as
> newb-bait, and it's no more convenient than C-w.  It seems almost
> entirely pointless.
>
> I propose removing this functionality from C-d.  If mac/windows users
> want to delete a region, they can use DEL (backspace).

100% agreement.  This is truly a bad idea.  C-d (and <delete>) in Emacs should
do what it always has done: delete the next char.

[I did not realize that C-d had been changed this way, since I still don't use
Emacs 24 (while waiting for the selection stuff and other bugs to die down).  I
see now that this was introduced in thread "Updated proposal for DEL to delete
active region".  I did not see that it was part of that proposal at the time.
Most of the discussion there was about the commands and their names and mappings
and other problems about breaking compatibility.  This additional change slipped
right by me.  I wouldn't have missed it if C-d had been mentioned in the Subject
line instead of DEL.  DEL already deletes the active region in delete-selection
mode (which I use), but for C-d to do that is a real change.]

Please reverse this change.  This is a terrible design decision.