Re: Problems with xml-parse-string

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Problems with xml-parse-string
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 22:26:02 -0400

Leo <address@hidden> writes:

> On 2010-09-22 00:00 +0100, Chong Yidong wrote:
>> From this point of view, the new functions should be called
>> xml-parse-string-internal or something like that.
>
> The new function actually is quite usable. Its output is slightly
> cleaner than that of xml.el.

No doubt, but that's not my point.  Ideally, Emacs should provide a
single interface for parsing XML.  What I have in mind is to rename
xml.el's xml-parse-string, which is an internal function, to xml--parse,
and provide something like this:

(defun xml-parse-string (str)
  (if (boundp 'xml-parse-string-internal)
      (xml-parse-string-internal str)
    (xml-parse-string-elisp str)))

with similar functions for the current xml-parse-region and
xml-parse-file.

This would solve our namespace clash problem, and be cleaner.  This
assumes that the output of the new libxml2 functions is similar (or can
be made similar) to that of the old elisp parser.