Re: Emacs core TLS support

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: Re: Emacs core TLS support
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2010 16:02:23 +0100

[...]

> However, it then loops taking 100% CPU, since _gnutls_read() is being
> called in an infloop since the socket in non-blocking, or something...

In case it's not handled correctly already, TLS is potentially confusing
in that sometimes in order to read something it's necessary to write and
vice versa (because TLS sends and receives things in packets that don't
necessarily match the units of communication at other levels).

So using non-blocking I/O in TLS requires some care; the conditions at
the socket level you want to be triggered for don't necessarily match
what you're trying to do at the higher level.