final GnuTLS API! (was: Emacs core TLS support)

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: final GnuTLS API! (was: Emacs core TLS support)
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 2010 20:23:54 -0500

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 00:37:37 +0200 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <address@hidden>
wrote:

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <address@hidden> writes:
>> I had trouble committing so the patches are below.  I'll commit when I
>> can or Lars can push them.

LMI> I've checked this in now.

Thanks.  My connection was really bad this morning.

What do you think about the interface?  I like it much better.  A plist
is a nice balance between static parameters and a freeform alist.

I've now committed the final GnuTLS client API in lisp/net/gnutls.el.
It's just two functions clients are supposed to use, which I think is
good.  Look it over and unless you have any problems with it, I'll mark
it EXPERIMENTAL instead of BROKEN and write a NEWS entry.

The callbacks are still to come.  I need to figure out how to accept a
client certificate; the GnuTLS examples don't have that so I asked on
the GnuTLS mailing list.  For storage I think we'll end up with
$HOME/.emacs.d/certificates or something like that.  We can also build
our own (Emacs) list of certificate authorities (CAs) in addition to the
one provided by the OS.  That may make a lot of sense: for instance, to
set up our own CA for package management.  But it's really a GNU/FSF
question, so I'll leave any further words to the Emacs maintainers.

Thanks again for your help.
Ted