Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: What does Emacs on w32 know that grep can't figure out?
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 2010 03:54:51 +0200

On Tue, Oct 5, 2010 at 03:36, Lennart Borgman <address@hidden> wrote:

> If we decide on this (which seems likely now), then should we not
> change default file coding system to utf-8?

Which coding-system variable are you referring to? buffer-file-coding-system?

The language environment (and coding system variables) should reflex,
IMO, what the user is most likely to encounter.

I personally do

  (set-language-environment "UTF-8")
  (set-coding-system-priority 'utf-16le-with-signature 'utf-16be-with-signature)
  (setq file-name-coding-system 'windows-1252)

in my .emacs, but I want to generate UTF-8 files. I think most Windows
users will be happy with the current defaults.

    Juanma