RE: Merging Finder into package mechanism

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Merging Finder into package mechanism
Date: Sat, 30 Oct 2010 13:59:42 -0700

> The proposed technical steps are as follows.  First, merge
> `finder-package-info' and `package--builtins-base' into a single
> variable.  This is a backward-incompatible change, but I think that's
> acceptable, since third-party code is unlikely to make use of
> `finder-package-info'.

Think again.  I just came across a 3rd-party package that uses
`finder-package-info'.  I had to inform the author that it won't work anymore,
starting with Emacs 24 (unless something changes).  I had no more help for him
(see below, apropos NEWS).

If you truly "merged" those two variables, why couldn't you provide
compatibility - via defalias or something?  (I don't call completely breaking a
variable "merging" it with another variable.)

Also, I do not, in any case, see any `package--builtins-base' in Emacs 24.

I looked in NEWS, to get some guidance about this incompatible change.  Nada -
no `finder' in NEWS, and nothing noticeable by searching for `package' either.
Your announcement of this change was 2 months ago.