Re: Async DNS lookups

From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
Subject: Re: Async DNS lookups
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 20:49:51 +0100

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> I.e. you'll probably want to use some new variable, very similar to
> pending_funcalls, but for "pending_c_funcalls" so that the pending calls
> can first do some C preprocessing to turn the C result data into Lisp data
> and then call the Elisp callback.

So -- what I'm getting from this is that:

1) The normal Lisp functions (like Fcons) can only be used in the main
thread,

2) so we need a new list, pending_c_funcalls, which might perhaps not be
a Lisp thing at all, but would be (for instance) a chained struct
containing pointers to the callback Lisp_Object data, as well as a place
to stash C values and a mechanism to say what these C objects are, so
that they can be converted to Lisp_Objects, and

3) nobody has done anything like this in Emacs before?  :-)

  address@hidden * Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen