RE: `mouse-save-then-kill' changes

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: `mouse-save-then-kill' changes
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2010 12:36:42 -0800

> > Now (Emacs 24) I have to (a) duplicate all of the code of
> > `mouse-save-then-kill', (b) replace the 3 lines that delete or kill
> > the region by a call to `foobar', and (c) change references to
> > `mouse-save-then-kill' within the new command to the new command
> > name - e.g. places where the code checks `(eq last-command
> > 'mouse-save-then-kill)'.
>
> Maybe you can use buffer-substring-filters instead?

Thanks for suggesting something.  But I don't really see how that var might fit
in here.  Can you elaborate?

That var is used only by `filter-buffer-substring'.  That function is used in
`mouse-save-then-kill', but only in the calls to `kill-new', which are places
unrelated to the part that kills or deletes the region.  So I don't see how that
var would help.

[BTW - Dunno whether the suggested use of `b-s-f' would be only for Emacs 24+ or
also for other versions (since I don't know how you're suggesting to use it).
But if it is for Emacs 24+ then I guess you mean
`filter-buffer-substring-functions' - `b-s-f' is now obsolete. ;-)  And if for
other versions also then it won't work for Emacs 20 or 21 (no such var).]