Re: character composition seems much worse than before

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: character composition seems much worse than before
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 20:18:50 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> So with the following command:

>    emacs -Q -font 'dejavu sans mono 12'

> everything works properly!

> but this:

>    emacs -Q -font 'bitstream vera sans mono 12'

> fails as I described before (most importantly, fails to combine
> characters at all when auto-composition-mode is enabled).

Then, I suspect that the font doesn't have glyphs for
combining characters (U+0300...U+037F), and thus Emacs uses
the other font for those characters, which results in
no-composition (Emacs can compose characters of the same
font only).  If you have a tool to see glyphs of ttf fonts,
please check it.  If you don't have such a tool, please try
the program "otfview" included in libotf-bin package.

> This is pretty irritating, as Bitstream Vera Sans Mono seems to be what
> Emacs uses by default on Debian...!

How about the other programs?  For instance, can gedit
display the same text correctly with that font?

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden