Re: Incorrect merge

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Incorrect merge
Date: Mon, 08 Nov 2010 11:03:56 -0500

>> (or once we get rid of the ChangeLog files)
> You probably hoped nobody would notice that parenthesis, but is getting
> rid of the ChangeLog files in the cards?

It's been requested many times already, and seeing how it's the main
source of pain when merging branches, there's clearly some incentives.
What makes it more so is that the switch away from CVS removed one of
the barriers: CVS's inability to generate good logs.

> 1) They're a pain in the ass, both to write and due to the constant
> merge conflicts.

I don't find them painful at all to write, quite the contrary: I find it
currently inconvenient to write commit logs without going through
a ChangeLog file.  So to get rid of ChangeLogs, we need to make "C-x
4 a" and friends work for *VC-Log* or something like that.

But yes, the merging conflicts are annoying.

> 2) But they give a better overview over what's happening, and who's
> doing what, than any VC log I've seen.

That's another issue, indeed: "bzr log" is OK but is not as good as the
ChangeLog files in many cases.  Some of the issues I see with it:
- Not editable: bzr does not support fixing commit messages.
- Slowish.
OTOH, it has some advantages as well:
- you can get a log for a specific set of files.
- no issue when a commit spans several directories with different
  ChangeLog files, e.g. lisp/net/imap.el and lisp/gnus/nnimap.el.

FWIW, overall, I'm in favor of ditching the ChangeLog,

        Stefan